Effective and last modified: April 1, 2021
This policy covers all personal information collected from and about Kao USA consumers including when you use this website. If in any case our privacy practices differ from those explained in this policy, we will let you know at the time we ask for or collect your information.
- What information we collect about you
- Children’s online privacy
- How we collect your information
- Cookies and automatic data collection technologies
- How we use your information
- Disclosure of your information
- Interest-based advertising
- Third Party content, apps, and links
- Your rights and choices
- Data security
- Contact us
- Your California privacy rights
- Nevada privacy
- Canada privacy
We may collect the following types of information about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity or Contact Information includes your name, date of birth, mailing or delivery address, email address, telephone numbers, username, or similar identifiers or contact information.
- Financial Information includes your billing address and other payment-related information.
- Transaction Information includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products you have purchased from us or other details about your transactions with us.
- Technical Information includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting, location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access our websites, applications, or connected products.
- Profile Information includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback, age, gender, product reviews, survey responses, information about your experiences with our products, contact preferences, and other similar information.
- Usage Information includes information about how you use our websites and our products and services
- Marketing and Communications Information includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and your communication preferences.
- Demographic Information and Preferences include personal characteristics and preferences, such as your age, gender, shopping preferences, household demographic data, data from social media platforms, hobbies and interests and propensity scores from third parties (likelihood of purchase, experiencing a life event, etc.).
- User Contributions include product reviews and other feedback that you provide on our products, locations, and services. If you choose to provide User Contributions, it may be made available on public areas of our website.
Some of the information we collect about you may be personal information, or personal data, that can be used to identify you including, for example, your name, email address, mailing address or delivery address. In some jurisdictions, certain unique identifiers like IP addresses and other usage or technical information may be considered personal information.
Personal information does not include data where your identity has been removed so that we can no longer identify you (anonymous data), which we may use for any purpose.
We collect information from and about you in the following ways:
- When you provide it to us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms or by communicating with us by text, e-mail, or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register for an account, subscribe to one of our newsletters or other communications, conduct a search, place an order, engage in a promotional event, complete a survey, or when you contact us about one of our websites, products, or services. We may also collect information when you respond to our request to voluntarily provide information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, experience with our products, and contact preferences
- From our websites and emails. As you interact with our websites or websites employing our cookies, or our emails, we may automatically collect information about your equipment, browsing actions, other activities (like opening emails), and patterns. We collect this information by using cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. Our Cookies and automatic data collection technologies section contains more information and options to control or opt-out of certain data collection or uses.
- From others. We may receive information about you from third parties including, for example, our affiliated companies, business partners, sub-contractors, analytics providers, social media companies, and service providers. For example, if you enter a co-branded promotion, that is being sponsored by Kao USA and another party, our co-sponsor may provide us with information about you. As another example, if you sign up for a promotion using your social media credentials, we may receive information about you from that social media company.
- User Contributions. You also may provide information to be published or displayed (“posted”) on public areas of the websites or transmitted to other users (collectively, “User Contributions”). For example, if you rate or review one of our products, then your product review may be made available on public areas of our website.
Our websites use automatic data collection technologies to distinguish you from other website users. This helps us deliver a better and more personalized service when you browse our website. It also allows us to improve our websites by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store your preferences so we may customize our websites according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Our website pages and e-mails may contain small transparent embedded images or objects known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count website page visitors or email readers, or to compile other similar statistics such as recording website content popularity or verifying system and server integrity. For information about managing web beacons, see Your rights and choices.
We use your information to conduct our business operations including for the following purposes:
- To register you as a new customer.
- To send you products that you have ordered, including to process payment, provide you updates about the status of your order, and process product returns.
- To send samples that you have requested or to contact you for market research purposes.
- To provide you with the information, products, services or support that you request from us or to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with information about carrying or distributing our products in connection with your business.
- To deliver relevant content, advertisements, and messaging to you and to measure or understand the effectiveness of such content, advertisements, and messaging.
- To allow you to enter a sweepstake, contest or promotion that we may offer. If we offer a co-branded promotion, then our co-sponsor may have different privacy practices, which we will inform you about before you provide your information.
- To use data analytics to improve our website, products or services, marketing, customer relationships, and experiences.
- To make suggestions and recommendations to you about our own products or services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way or for more information on how to adjust your preferences, see Your rights and choices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent
- As otherwise required or permitted pursuant to applicable law.
We may use information that is not personal information for any purpose. For example, we may aggregate usage data from many people in a way that does not identify any individuals to calculate the percentage of users accessing a feature on the website.
We may share non-personal information without restriction. We may share your personal information with:
- Any member of our corporate group, which means our subsidiaries, affiliates, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business.
- Your identity or contact information, transaction information, and financial information to our service providers who facilitate and processes payments on our behalf.
- Your identity or contact information and transaction information to our service provider who follows up with you and asks you to provide a review and rate your purchase.
- Your identity or contact information and transaction information to our service provider who follows up with you when you abandon your cart and/or assists us with email marketing campaigns.
- Your identity or contact information, technical information, profile information, marketing and communications information, usage information, and/or your user contributions to our website host and the marketing agency who supports our website and social media channels.
- Your identity or contact information, financial information, transaction information, technical information, and profile information with the software as a service provider that we use to help manage that aspect of our business.
- Your transaction information and usage information available to our marketing partners.
- Your technical information and usage information to our website analytics providers.
- To an actual or prospective buyer or other successor in the event of merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all our assets, where one of the transferred assets is the personal information we hold.
- If we offer a co-branded promotion, we may make available your identity or contact information to our co-sponsor.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purposes that we disclose when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law, which may include (without limitation):
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request.
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of our business, our employees, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of cybersecurity, fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- To investigate suspected violations of any law, rule or regulation, or the terms or policies for our website.
- The National Advertising Institute’s (NAI’s) opt-out platform:www.networkadvertising.org/choices
- The Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) U.S. opt-out platform: www.aboutads.info/choices
- The DAA’s Canadian page: https://youradchoices.ca/en/tools
Some content or applications on our websites may be served by third parties, content providers and application providers including the following:
We may use the following plugins:
We use the plugins of social network facebook.com, operated by Facebook Inc., 1601 S. California Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA. The link to Facebook’s data privacy declaration can be found here:Data Privacy Information Facebook.
We use the plugins of social network twitter.com, operated by Twitter, Inc., 1355 Market Street, Suite 900, San Francisco, CA 94103 U.S.A. The link to Twitter’s data privacy declaration can be found here:Data Privacy Information Twitter.
We use the plugins of social network Pinterest, operated by Pinterest Inc., 635 High Street, Palo Alto, CA, USA (“Pinterest”). The link to Pinterest’s data privacy declaration can be found here:Data Privacy Information Pinterest.
We use the plugins of the YouTube website, operated by Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States. The link to the data privacy declaration can be found here:Data Privacy Information.
We use the plugins of social network Instagram, operated by Instagram, LLC Instagram Inc., 1601 Willow Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA. The link to Instagram’s data privacy declaration can be found here:Data Privacy Information Instagram.
We may use the plugins of social network TikTok, operated by TikTok Inc., 5800 Bristol Pkwy, Los Angeles, CA 90034, USA. The link to TikTok’s data privacy declaration can be found here:Data Privacy Information TikTok
- Third-party links. Our websites may contain links to other sites, which we do not control. Those websites have their own privacy policies and terms.
Your rights may vary depending on where you are located. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information.
- Marketing. You can join our email marketing list by entering your email when prompted on our website. If you purchase products from us, we may also send you marketing information about our products. You may opt-out of further marketing communications by contacting Kao USA Customer Care as set forth below in the Contact Us section or by clicking UNSUBSCRIBE and following the instructions in any promotional email that we send to you. This opt-out may not apply to communications we send related to a product purchase, warranty registration, product service experience or other transaction between us.
- Accessing, Rectifying, Updating and Deleting Your Information. If you have an account with us, you may have the ability to access your information and make updates to or delete your data. If not, or to the extent you wish to access personal information that is not available to you directly, you can contact Kao USA Customer Care as set forth in the Contact Us section below to request access to, correction of, or deletion of personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or negatively affect the information’s accuracy.
- Interest Based Advertising. Please see Interest-based advertising above for information on how to opt-out of interest-based advertising.
- Do Not Track. At this time, we do not respond to or honor “do not track” (a/k/a DNT) signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
- California Residents. If you are a California resident, you may have additional personal rights and choices regarding your personal information. Please see Your California privacy rights for more information.
- Canada Residents. If you are Canadian, you may have additional personal rights and choices. Please see our Canada privacy section below for additional information.
- Nevada Residents. If you are a Nevada resident, you may have additional personal rights and choices regarding your personal information. Please see our Nevada Privacy section below for more information.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We use physical, electronic, and administrative safeguards designed to protect your personal information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, use, alteration or disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to take care when providing information in public areas of our websites like message boards, which any website visitor can view. We cannot control the actions of other users of the website with whom you may choose to share information on public areas of our websites. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that such information will not be viewed or copied by unauthorized persons.
- Customer service inquiries. If you have any customer service, retail, or press-related inquiries, please use our Contact page on our website to find the relevant phone numbers and email addresses.
You may also call us at 1-800-521-3189.
You may also write to us at:
Kao USA Inc.
Attention: Kao Customer Care
2535 Spring Grove Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45214
- To exercise your privacy rights. To exercise privacy rights that you may have under this policy or applicable law, please contact us as directed in the applicable section of this policy.
Kao USA Inc.
Attention: Kao Americas Privacy
2535 Spring Grove Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45214
We have procedures in place to receive and respond to complaints or inquiries about our handling of personal information, our compliance with this policy, and with applicable privacy laws. To discuss our compliance with this policy please contact Kao Americas Privacy using the contact information listed above
The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) requires us to provide the following notice to California residents.
This notice does not apply to information we collect from our California-based employees, job applicants, contractors, or similar individuals. Our California notice for job applicants is available here.
Where noted in this notice, the CCPA temporarily exempts personal information reflecting a written or verbal business-to-business communication (“B2B information”) from some of its requirements.
The information we collect and have collected about California residents in the last 12 months is described in What information we collect above. That information corresponds with the following categories of personal information under the CCPA:
Do we collect this information?
Your name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).
Your name, signature, address, telephone number, credit or debit card number, bank account number, or any other financial information.
Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).
D. Commercial information.
Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
E. Biometric information.
We do not collect biometric information.
F. Internet or other similar network activity.
Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
G. Geolocation data.
In some cases, we may collect your location to provide you location-related services.
H. Sensory data.
If you call our offices and leave a voicemail, audio information.
I. Professional or employment-related information.
We do not collect professional or employment-related information.
J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).
We do not collect non-public education information.
K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.
Profile reflecting a person's preferences, including brand or product preferences and purchasing preferences.
In the last 12 months, we have collected personal information from the sources described in How we collect your information above.
In the last 12 months, we have used your personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in How we use your information above.
The business and commercial purposes that we have shared your personal information in the last 12 months are described above in Disclosure of your information. More specific information on that sharing is as follows:
- Sharing your personal information for business purposes. We have shared the following categories of personal information with our affiliated companies and service providers for our business purposes:
- Category A: Identifiers.
- Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
- Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
- Category D: Commercial information.
- Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
- Category G: Geolocation data.
- Category K: Inferences drawn from other personal information.
As described above, examples of business purposes include performing transactions, fulfilling orders, registering accounts, managing our relationship with you, and monitoring for security threats and fraud.
- Sharing your personal information for commercial or other purposes: We have shared the following categories of your personal information with business partners and other third parties in a manner that may be considered to be a "sale" under the CCPA:
- Category A: Identifiers.
- Category D: Commercial information.
- Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
- Category K: Inferences drawn from other personal information.
As described above, this information may be shared for personalization, analytics, marketing, retargeting, and sales. We do not sell personal information of consumers we know are less than 16 years of age.
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection, use, disclosure, and sale of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing: sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
We do not provide access rights to B2B information.
You have a right to obtain a copy of the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request). Once we verify your request, we will provide you a copy of your personal information that is responsive to your request.
We do not provide portability rights to B2B information.
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records unless an exception applies.
To exercise your general right to know, your right to obtain a copy of your information, or your right to delete your information, contact us as follows:
You may call us at: 1-800-521-3189
Or you may submit your request via email to: email@example.com. When emailing us, please put “CCPA Rights Request” in the subject line of your email.
To exercise the right to opt-out of sale of your personal information in the context of cookies and similar technologies, please click the following link and follow the instructions to opt-out: Do Not Sell My Personal Information
If you change your mind, the link can also be used to opt back into personal information sales.
Please note that opting out of sales in the context of cookies will not stop us from advertising to you. We may still present contextual or other advertisements to you that do not rely on “sales” to our advertising partners.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child. To designate an authorized agent, you must provide the authorized agent with signed permission to make the request. If your authorized agent is a business entity, then the authorized agent must be registered with the California Secretary of State to conduct business in California. We may deny a request from an authorized agent that does not submit proof that it has been authorized to submit a request on your behalf. Further, before responding to a request from an authorized agent, we will still require you to (1) verify that you have provided the authorized agent permission to submit the request on your behalf; and (2) verify your identity directly with us.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period.
Before fulfilling your request, we take steps to verify you are who you say you are or that you have authority to act upon someone else’s behalf. Therefore, upon receipt of your request, we will request additional information that we need to verify you and, if you are submitting a request on behalf of someone else, to verify that you are permitted to act on that person’s behalf.
When we contact you to request verification information, please respond and provide the information that we have requested. Depending on the nature of the request you make, we may require you to verify your identity to either a reasonable degree of certainty or high degree of certainty. This may mean that we need to match two or three pieces of information that we hold about you with information that you provide to us. In some cases, we may require you to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury that you are the consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request or that you are authorized to make the request on behalf of someone else.
In addition to providing the information we need to verify you or your authority, you must provide us with enough information so that we can understand, evaluate, and respond to your request. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot confirm the personal information relates to you.
We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request and to locate relevant information. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
We cannot delete personal information in those situations where our retention is required for our own internal business purposes or otherwise permitted by the CCPA (such as fraud prevention or legal compliance). In these situations, we will retain your information in accordance with our records retention program and securely delete it at the end of the retention period.
We make every attempt to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing within 45 days of receiving your verifiable consumer request.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request's receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. When you request a copy of your personal information, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity easily.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. You have a right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for exercising your privacy rights.
California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our website who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Currently, we do not engage in this type of disclosure.
Nevada residents have the right to opt out of the sale of certain "covered information" collected by operators of websites or online services. We do not currently sell covered information, as "sale" is defined by such law, and we do not have plans to sell this information.
Kao USA complies with applicable Canadian privacy laws and regulations, including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), in connection with processing Canadian personal information.
We may transfer personal information that we collect, or that you provide, to third parties (including affiliates, service providers and others) as described in the Disclosure of your information section above.
We may process, store, and transfer your personal information in and to a foreign country, with different privacy laws that may or may not be as comprehensive as Canadian law. In these circumstances, the governments, courts, law enforcement, or regulatory agencies of that country may be able to obtain access to your personal information through the laws of the foreign country.
You are welcome to contact us if you have questions regarding the collection, use, disclosure or storage of personal information by our service providers and affiliates outside Canada, and/or to obtain access to written information about our policies and practices with respect to service providers (including affiliates) outside Canada.
For questions about our privacy practices, please contact Kao Americas Privacy as directed in the Contact Us section of this policy.
By submitting your personal information or engaging with the website, you consent to the transfer, storage, and processing of such information outside of Canada.
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, we will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it, and/or for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Under some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you, either directly or indirectly, alone or in combination with any other information. We reserve the right to use such anonymous and de-identified data for any legitimate business purpose without further notice to you or your consent.
By law you have the right to request access to and to correct or rectify the personal information that we hold about you, subject to certain exceptions as required or permitted by applicable law.
You can review and change your personal information by logging into your account and visiting the pages that correspond to the information you want to review and change.
If you want to access, review, verify, correct, rectify, update, or withdraw consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information you may also contact Kao Americas Privacy as directed in the Contact Us section of this policy to make such a request.
We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and your right to access, and to provide you with the personal information that we hold about you or make your requested changes. Applicable law may allow or require us to refuse to provide you with access to some or all of the personal information that we hold about you, or we may have destroyed, erased, or made your personal information anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. If we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will inform you of the reasons, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
We will provide access to your personal information, subject to exceptions set out in applicable privacy legislation. Examples of such exceptions may include (without limitation):
- Information protected by solicitor-client privilege.
- Information that is part of a formal dispute resolution process.
- Information that would reveal the personal information or confidential commercial information of another person.
- Information that is prohibitively expensive to provide.
If you are concerned about our response or would like to correct the information provided, you may contact Kao Americas Privacy as described in the Contact Us section of this policy.